About St Mary's Church

The parish church of St. Mary, High Bickington is a place of worship for the whole community, young and old.

 

The Church is situated within the centre of High Bickington, in North Devon between the rivers Taw and Torridge. This place of Christian Worship was originally built in Saxon times.

 

King Athelstan (925 - 940), grandson of Alfred the Great, resided for a time at Umberleigh and in about 930 he gave land to support a priest and build a church for High Bickington and Atherington.

 

At about 1100 AD, after the Norman's had reorganised the conquered Saxon lands, a stone building was erected on the present site. The Revd. Michael Clark is the local vicar.



This site was created with Jimdo!

Anyone can make their own website with Jimdo -- easily and for free! Choose templates, click to customize, add content in just seconds. It's that simple!
Sign up for your own free website at www.jimdo.com and get started right away.